Skip to main content

U.S. Citizen Living Overseas?

If you are a U.S. Citizen and you are living outside of the USA, then you have come to the right place. Whether your parents work for an international company, the U.S. government, or in the military, we haven't forgotten about you. At Utah State University, we value your international experience and want you to become part of our Aggie family. Below, you will find helpful information that is catered for you.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to or call us at 435-797-7353.

Common Questions

Can I get residency in Utah?

Yes. Utah is one of the few states that allows college students to obtain residency. The law states: If a student who has not previously acquired domicile in Utah enrolls at a Utah system of higher education school, the student must reside in Utah for 12 continuous months and meet the other criteria below or qualify for an exception in order to gain residency for tuition purposes. If you are not a Utah resident visit

Interested in the ROTC?

Each year, many of our students come from military families and they want to follow in the footsteps of their parents. USU prides ourselves in being "The West Point of the West". Click below to learn more about our ROTC programs:


Do I apply as an international or U.S. citizen?

If you have a U.S. passport, you are considered a U.S. citizen. Even if you are going to school in another country, you will still apply as a U.S. citizen.

Parents in the Military?

Many of our students come from military families. If you do not have your residency in Utah, you can apply for residency within our military exceptions. To learn more visit

Military Exceptions:

  • Veterans of the armed forces and their dependents who establish domicile in Utah (students must prove they were discharged within the last 5 years).
  • Military servicemembers and their dependents, whether active duty or on reserve assignment, assigned to Utah (includes members of the Utah National Guard).
  • Eligible person entitled to benefits under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 30, Montgomery G.I. Bill – Active Duty Educational Assistance Program, or Chapter 33, Post 9/11 Educational Assistance Program.
  • Utah resident assigned outside of Utah pursuant to federal permanent change of station orders (must maintain strong ties to Utah, such as Utah state taxes, Utah driver's license, etc.).
  • Please print and complete the Application for In-State Tuition Based Upon Military Service Exceptions, and include the documentation listed on page two that corresponds with your exception. You may submit the documentation by mail, in person or by email to the information listed at the top of the application form.

Family graduated from USU?

If one of your parents or grandparents graduated from Utah State University, you can qualify for the Legacy Nonresident Waiver. The waiver is good until graduation and can help save you a lot of money. To learn more visit

To Qualify:


Legacy Waiver 1

Award Amount: 70% off the total cost of nonresident tuition
Freshmen Requirements: 117-142 index score minimum
Transfer Requirements: 3.6 GPA minimum

Legacy Waiver 2

Award Amount: 60% off the total cost of nonresident tuition
Freshmen Requirements: 110-116 index score minimum
Transfer Requirements: 3.0 GPA minimum

Legacy Waiver 3

Award Amount: 50% off the total cost of nonresident tuition
Freshmen Requirements: 90-109 index score minimum
Transfer Requirements: 2.2 GPA minimum